Saturday, September 27, 2014

1974: Philip K. Dick Discovers the Matrix

In February and March 1974, Philip K. Dick experienced a series of visions of an information-rich “pink light” beam that transmitted directly into his consciousness. A year after the events Dick summarized the experiences that would pervade his writing for the final eight years of his life:



“March 16, 1974: It appeared – in vivid fire, with shining colors and balanced patterns – and released me from every thrall, inner and outer."



“March 18, 1974: It, from inside me, looked out and saw the world did not compute, that I – and it – had been lied to. It denied the reality, and power, and authenticity of the world, saying, This cannot exist; it cannot exist."



“March 20, 1974: It seized me entirely, lifting me from the limitations of the space-time matrix; it mastered me as, at the same time, I knew that the world around me was cardboard, a fake. Through its power of perception I saw what really existed, and through its power of no-thought decision, I acted to free myself. It took on in battle, as a champion of all human spirits in thrall, every evil, every Iron Imprisoning thing."

No comments: