Thursday, August 30, 2012

The 7 Habits of Highly Mediocre People


By James Altucher,
Author of 
I Was Blind But Now I See: Time to Be Happy

I'm pretty mediocre. I'm ashamed to admit it. I'm not even being sarcastic or self-deprecating. I've never done anything that stands out as, "whoah! This guy made it into outerspace! Or…this guy has a best selling novel! Or…if only Google had thought of this!"

I've had some successes and some failures but never reached any of the goals I had initially set. Always slipped off along the way, off the yellow brick road, into the wilderness.

I've started a bunch of companies. Sold some. Failed at most. I've invested in a bunch of startups. Sold some. Failed at some, and the jury is still sequestered on a few others. I've written some books, most of which I no longer like.

I can tell you overall, though, everything I have done has been distinguished by its mediocrity, its lack of a grand vision, and any success I've had can be just as much put in the luck basket as the effort basket.

No comments: