Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I Was a Neuroscience Guinea Pig: How Scientists Scrambled My Brain

By Lisa Katayama
Source: Wired.com

I feel like the hoodlum Alex in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange: My head is held steady by a chin strap, while two technicians grease my scalp with conductive gel and slip on a cap bristling with electrodes.

I'm about to have my brain scrambled -- electrically -- in the name of medical science. Scientists are going to knock out regions of my brain while I perform a memory test.


"We're ready to do some zapping!" one of the technicians says excitedly.


I'm a guinea pig in a brain-scan experiment conceived by neuroscientist Adam Gazzaley, who is testing how memory changes with age. The "zapping" induces seizures in some subjects and cures depression in others. I don't know what it will do to me, but I'm about to find out.


CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL STORY

No comments: