Friday, January 13, 2017

Do you live in the past, present or the future?

In the late 1960s to the early 1970s when I was a youth, I belonged to a very strict religious organization that prophesized the imminent return of Christ, and the destruction of the United States. I put off pleasure in the present because I hoped to enjoy it in the indefinite future. In other words, I got stuck in the future.

Since that time, I discovered that others in the world are doing the same thing. It’s my guess that many young people who join the Islamic State adhere to that future orientation. Their goal is to go to Muslim Heaven, if they are male, and enjoy the pleasures of seventy-two dark-eyed virgins. Suffering hardship in the present and acting as suicide bombers in fighting for ISIS guarantees them eternal bliss in the future.


No comments: