Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Power of Positive Existentialism

I'm going through a bit of an existential crisis right now. I can't say it's my first rodeo, though. As a matter of fact, if I had a dollar for every time I've gone through an existential crisis, well, it wouldn't mean anything. Because money is a worthless societal construct, and we're all adrift on a sea of meaninglessness in which we'll eventually drown. Am I right, ladies?

I currently find myself at a crossroads--I'm not a girl, not yet a 31-year-old woman willing to accept the fact that the only constants I have in my life are crippling student loan debt, an inability to stop texting my ex, and an addiction to documentaries about eating disorders. (What can I say? They make me feel slightly less damaged!) I don't know what to do. I don't know how to do it. I don't know, period.

If you've never gone through an existential crisis, you've never truly lived. Questioning who you are, where you are, and why you're here is, IMWO (In My Worthless Opinion) a necessity for sentience. Some choose to ignore these questions, self-medicating with drugs, sex, complacency, television, or a combination of all four. Braver souls choose to tackle them head on.

No comments: