Monday, February 24, 2014

UFO Cult Hopes to Build Alien Embassy in Cambodia

The world's largest UFO cult has reached Cambodia.

"People are not [ready] yet, but we will keep trying to spread the message," said Am Vichet, the head of the Cambodian chapter of the Raelian Movement, which believes a group of scientists created life 25,000 years ago in a laboratory.

The 41-year old, who works at reproductive health NGO Marie Stopes, said he became a Raelian in 2007 after attending a lecture where the cult's philosophy was explained. "I want to learn new things. Then, at that time, I joined a lecture and they showed me a video and I thought it was interesting. But it was not enough just to go one time; I wanted to learn more," Vichet said.

His next step was to read a book penned by the group's leader, Frenchman Claude Vorilhon, now known by his acolytes only as Rael and who founded the cult in 1974. He claims to be a reincarnation of Buddha.


No comments: