Friday, February 25, 2005

Reading the Enemy's Mind

By Paul H. Smith

I didn’t dream that I would discover first hand that ESP was real. I certainly never imagined that one day I might find myself using mental powers to fight the Cold War. Now, more than twenty years from the day I was recruited, it still seems fantastical if I think on it too long.


I did have adolescent dreams of intrigue. I grew up with James Bond, and longed for the glamorous life of a spy. I also read science fiction, some involving ESP – telepathic animals, or alien strangers marooned on Earth, hiding their psychic powers from suspicious human neighbors. But that was all fantasy – or so I thought by the time I got around to joining the no-nonsense United States Army. I was wrong.


One day, in a scene right out of Men In Black, all that changed. With no warning that such a thing might exist, I was recruited to become a remote viewer – a specialized kind of psychic spy – for the US Government.


Before the decade was out, I and the diverse group of folks I met in what came to be known as CIA’s Star Gate Program had poked our minds into nearly every corner of the world and identified threats to American security, helped to capture narco-traffickers on the high seas, searched for kidnaped hostages, and spied out the secrets of many a potential foe – all without leaving our windowless building hidden among the trees on an Army post in Maryland.


CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL STORY

No comments: