Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Telepathy Between Babies & Nursing Moms

By Rupert Sheldrake

In nursing mothers, breast milk becomes available for feeding the baby through a physiological process called the let-down reflex, mediated by the hormone oxytocin, which is produced in the pituitary gland. As the let-down occurs, many women experience a tingling sensation in their breasts, and often the nipples begin to leak. This reflex takes only a few seconds and is usually triggered by the stimulation of the nipple by the baby, the sound of the baby crying, or even just by thinking about the baby (Stoppard, 1985).

Some nursing mothers claim that when they are away from the baby they often know when the baby needs them because their milk lets down (Eason, 1992). Here are two representative examples, taken from dozens I have received in response to appeals for information from mothers on this subject:


When my youngest son was a baby, I had the experience of my milk ‘letting down’ when I was away from him. This was accompanied by a ‘knowing’ that he needed me. When I would phone home, the sitter would always confirm that he had just awakened. Since he nursed on demand, he was never on a schedule. (Mrs C.L, Arlington, Washington State, USA).


I have 7 children, the eldest is now 12 and the youngest 7 months. I have fed 6 of my children and each time have experienced the ‘let down reflex’ when I leave them. I know when my baby cries when we are apart. The very second I think she may be crying I leak. When I get home she has usually been crying at the time I have leaked. My husband says that my boobs are like arials. I’m sure I can pick up their crying for miles. (Mrs P.B., Blackburn, Lancashire)

Most women who have had this kind of experience seem to take it for granted, and assume that it depends on a psychic bond. If they are right, this would imply a form of telepathy more physiological and fundamental that the kinds of ESP usually investigated by experimental parapsychologists and psychical researchers.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE FULL STORY

No comments: