Sunday, May 16, 2010

Change Your Time Zone, Change Your Mind

By Ellen Pearlman / Source: Reality Sandwich

In three hours I will be rich.


In five hours I can only eat out once a month.


In thirteen hours I can buy myself an apartment with cash up front.


But right now, this very moment, I'm nearly facing foreclosure on my home.


Over the next twenty-four hours nothing significant will have changed in my life. The only difference will be that I've arrived in a different country, a new time zone.

Global travel has revealed the relativity of worth, value and wealth. I know I speak from a privileged position, as someone who has reaped many of globalization's benefits. Most people can't just hop on an airplane and zip off to a far away destination. Certainly, the world faces serious problems: poverty, dislocation and starvation. But, when I have a chance to reflect upon it, my own experience as a frequent traveler says something remarkable about the 21st century economy.


READ THE FULL STORY HERE...

No comments: